Lei "Frank" Zhang, Ph.D.
Dr. Lei Zhang is an Assistant Professor of Sociology at the University of Colorado – Colorado Springs
He is a quantitative methodologist and a social network analyst. His research interests include statistical modeling, causal analysis, data mining, social network analysis, personal and organizational social capital, social inequality and social mobility, labor market and entrepreneurship in emerging economies, mental health and subjective wellbeing, as well as Chinese and East Asian societies. He is an experienced user and instructor of Stata, SPSS, SAS, R, Mplus, LISREL, EQS, and UCINET. His recent research focuses on causal effects of guanxi-based corporate social capital on business performance in China and intergenerational social mobility in the U.S.
- 2016, Ph.D. in Sociology, University of Minnesota
- 2007, M.Phil. in Social Science, Hong Kong University of Science & Technology
- 2005, M.A. in Sociology, Peking University (China)
- 2002, B.A. in Sociology and B.S. in Economics, Peking University (China)
Courses Taught at UCCS
- Advanced Statistics & Methods (SOC 5170/4170)
- Research Methods (SOC 5070)
- Social Statistics (SOC 3170/5020)
- Statistics for CJ (CJ 3150)
Online Teaching Channel
- SPSS Training Videos for Basic and Intermediate Social Statistics
- Stata Training Videos for Intermediate and Advanced Social Statistics
- Other inspiring videos on mathematics and social science research methods
- He, J., Montez de Oca, J., Zhang, L. 2022. “Why the Vault Became Superior to Other Events in Women’s Artistic Gymnastics at the Olympics?” Science of Gymnastics Journal 14(2):237-248.
- Dong, S., Chen, X., Zhang, L., & Cheng, C. (2021) “Time Investment and Depth of Social Tie —— Two Dimensions of Tie Strength (时间投入与关系深度——关系强度概念的二维视角及其意义).” Sociological Review of China. http://src.ruc.edu.cn (in Chinese).
- Xiao, Y., Bian, Y., & Zhang, L. (2020). Mental Health of Chinese Online Networkers under COVID-19: A Sociological Analysis of Survey Data. International journal of environmental research and public health, 17(23), 8843. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph17238843
- He, J., Montez de Oca, J., Zhang, L. 2020. “Why Team China suffered its worst performance in artistic gymnastics at Rio 2016?” International Journal of Sports Science & Coaching, Article first published online: July 8, 2020
- He, J., Zhong, B., and Zhang, L. 2019. “Tradition and Transformation: The Future of Fictitious Lineage in Chinese Advantage Events (传统与转型：论我国优势项目运动队拟制宗族的未来走向).” Journal of Sports and Science (体育与科学), Vol. 40(4), 46-52. (in Chinese)
- Zhang, L., Bian, Y. (2019). Parental Love on Time: Class, Gender, and Timing in Homeownership Transfer. Journal of Housing and the Built Environment.
- Bian, Y., Zhang, L., Gao, Y. (Graduate) (2019). Social Bonding and Subjective Wellbeing: Findings from the 2017 ISSP Module. International Journal of Sociology.
- Bian, Y., Zhang, L., Li, Y., Hu, Y., and Li, N. 2018. “Income Inequality and Class Stratification.” in Wu, W and Frazier M. (eds.), The SAGE Handbook of Contemporary China, Los Angeles, USA: SAGE. pp.1022-1042.
- Zhang, L. 2016. “Guanxi-based Corporate Social Capital and Chinese Entrepreneurship.” in Wong, J. and Hsung R. (eds.), Rethinking Social Capital and Entrepreneurship in Greater China, London, UK; New York, USA: Routledge. pp.36-55. https://www.routledge.com/Rethinking-Social-Capital-and-Entrepreneurship-in-Greater-China-Is-Guanxi/Wang-Hsung/p/book/9781138925892
- Mortimer, J., Zhang, L., Wu, C., Hussemann, J., Johnson, M. 2016. “Familial Transmission of Educational Plans and the Academic Self-Concept: A Three-Generation Longitudinal Study.” Social Psychology Quarterly https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28396611 (Shortened version selected for SPQ SNAPS online).
- Hussemann, J., Mortimer, J., Zhang, L. 2016. “Exploring the Correlates of Parental Consent for Child Survey Participation: An Intergenerational Longitudinal Study.” Public Opinion Quarterly 80(3): 642-665. https://academic.oup.com/poq/article/80/3/642/1752945/Exploring-the-Correlates-of-Parental-Consent-for
- Bian, Y., Zhang, L., Yang, J., Guo, X., Lei, M. 2015. “Subjective Wellbeing of Chinese People: A Multifaceted View.” Social Indicators Research 121: 75-92. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11205-014-0626-6
- Bian, Y., Zhang, L., Wang, W., Cheng, C. 2015. “Institution-Spanning Social Capital and its Income Returns in China.” in Li, Y. (ed.) Handbook of Research Methods and Applications in Social Capital, Cheltenham, UK; Northampton, MA, USA: Edward Elgar Publishing, pp. 344-357. https://www.elgaronline.com/view/9780857935847.00023.xml
- Bian, Y., Zhang, L. 2014. “Corporate Social Capital in Chinese Guanxi Culture.” Research in the Sociology of Organizations 40: 421-443. https://www.emeraldinsight.com/doi/abs/10.1108/S0733-558X%282014%290000040021
- Bian, Y., Huang, X., Zhang, L. 2014. “Information and Favoritism: The Network Effect on Wage Income in China.” Social Networks 40: 129-138. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0378873314000537
- Mortimer, J., Zhang, L., Hussemann, J., Wu, C. 2014. “Parental Economic Hardship and Children’s Achievement Orientations.” Longitudinal and Life Course Studies 5(2): 105-128. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4358300/
- Bian, Y., Zhang, L. 2013. “Guanxi Culture and Guanxi Social Capital (论关系文化与关系社会资本).” The Journal of Humanities (《人文杂志》) No.2013-1, 107-133. (in Chinese) http://mall.cnki.net/magazine/Article/RWZZ201301016.htm
- Bian, Y., Wang, W., Zhang, L., Cheng, C. 2012. “Sector-Crossing Social Capital and Its Impact on Wage Income (跨体制社会资本及其收入回报).” Chinese Social Sciences (《中国社会科学》) No. 2, 110-126. (in Chinese) http://mall.cnki.net/magazine/Article/ZSHK201202007.htm