Stephen Suh, Ph.D.
Stephen Cho Suh
is an Assistant Professor of Sociology and Women’s and Ethnic Studies at the University of Colorado Colorado Springs. His scholarly interests lie at the intersections of race, ethnicity, gender, migration, and culture, especially in relation to Asian Americans and the Korean diaspora. His current book project examines the culinary entrepreneurship of 1.5 and 2nd-generation Korean Americans in the U.S. and South Korea. He has works published in outlets such as Ethnic & Racial Studies, the International Review for the Sociology of Sport, Journal of Asian American Studies, Men & Masculinities, and The Society Pages. He is co-editor of Koreatowns: Exploring the Economics, Politics, and Identities of Korean Spatial Formation, published by Lexington Books.
- Ph.D., University of Minnesota, Sociology
- M.A., University of Minnesota, Sociology
- B.A., University of California – San Diego, Ethnic Studies and Psychology
- Introduction to Race and Ethnicity (SOC 2200)
- Asian American Communities (SOC 3280)
- Gender and Sexuality (SOC 4040)
- Globalization and Development (SOC 4380/5380)
- Global Migration (SOC 4780/5780)
- Kim, Jinwon, Soo Mee Kim, and Stephen Cho Suh (eds.). 2020. Koreatowns: Exploring the Economics, Politics, and Identities of Korean Spatial Formations. (New York: Lexington Books).
- Manning, Alex, Stephen Cho Suh, and Kyle Green. 2021. “Discursive Footwork on the Hardwood: Players’ Negotiations of the NBA as a Contested Racial Arena.” European Journal for Sport and Society. https://doi.org/10.1080/16138171.2021.1941614
- Suh, Stephen Cho. 2020. “Nostalgic for the Unfamiliar: Korean Americans’ ‘Imagined Affective Connection’ to the Ancestral Homeland.” Ethnicities. https://doi.org/10.1177/1468796820981667.
- Suh, Stephen Cho. 2020. “Racing ‘Return’: The Diasporic Return of U.S.-Raised Korean Americans in Racial and Ethnic Perspective.” Ethnic and Racial Studies 43(6): 1072-1090.
- Montez de Oca, Jeffrey, and Stephen Cho Suh. 2019. “Ethics of Patriotism: NFL Players’ Protests Against Police Violence.” International Review for the Sociology of Sport 55(5): 563-587.
- Suh, Stephen Cho. 2017. “Negotiating Masculinity across Borders: A transnational examination of Korean American masculinities.” Men and Masculinities 20(3): 317-344.
- Suh, Stephen Cho. 2016. “Introducing K-Town: Consumption, Authenticity, and Citizenship in Koreatown’s popular reimagining.” Journal of Asian American Studies 19(3): 397-422.
- Suh, Stephen Cho. 2020. “Reframing the ‘Riots’: Locating Koreatown in contemporary Korean American retellings of the 1992 Los Angeles Uprising.” In Jinwon Kim, Soo Mee Kim, and Stephen Cho Suh, eds., Koreatowns: Exploring the Economics, Politics, and Identities of Korean Spatial Formations. (New York: Lexington Books). 161-178.
- Suh, Stephen Cho. 2019. “Living as ‘Overseas Koreans’ in South Korea: Examining the ‘Differential Inclusion’ of Korean American ‘Returnees’.” In Yonson Ahn, ed., Transnational Mobility and Identity In and Out of Korea (New York: Lexington Books). 99-114.